Saturday, December 15, 2007

A flat white, please.

Looking at the list of coffee on the menu board in one of the many cafes in New Zealand, I was trying to decide what I was to have. "I'll have a flat white, please." - i blurted out. I din want to embarass myself by asking the girl at the counter to explain to me every single coffee they hav there. Now experimenting wasn't all together that bad - up until I ordered my first - and my last - cup of short black. Oh man, that lethal cup of coffee, served half in a demitasse cup, was a killer. A single gulp. I thought I lost my speech for a good 15mins there. I could have just ordered a plain hot chocolate or a mocha or a cappucino, something tat I know, but no, my sense of adventure just happen to took over.
I hav to say having a cuppa there is such a 'comfort' and a need. Eventho it's summer, it's always cool and windy and there's greeneries everywhere. You're sitting in an open-air cafe overlooking a never-ending stretch of garden. It just feel right to have coffee.
Later I found out the terms they use for coffee in NZ n Australia, n tat some of the terms are different altogether in the states and other countries. Little me, not tat I m an ardent fan of the coffee chains around....
* Short black - 1 shot of espresso in tiny cup
* Long black - short black with hot water added
* Flat white - 1/3 espresso, 1/3 water, 1/3 hot milk
* Macchiato - short black with a spot of milk
* Cappucino - 1/3 espresso, 1/3 hot milk, 1/3 milk froth
* Latte - short black and 2/3 hot milk
* Mocha - latte with chocolate added
A skinny cap - cappucino with skim milk
Americano is a long black served diluted with hot water
(In the states, a "regular" means coffee with milk n 2 sugar)
Oh, and u could even add soy milk, or a variety of flavor shots (I was utterly impressed).

I can't really tell whether the coffees I've tasted there were good. But I could assure tat they dun hav tis burnt taste like some of the Nescafe products. I hav tasted the coffee in some orient countries - they're so mild tat u start to question whether they're coffee? But tat's just me. I'm no Lora Zarubin, who, claims tat she had the best cup of coffee at Monmouth Coffee Company, London. Hmm....

Here kopi means coffee with sweetened milk, kopi o means black coffee, kopi c means coffee with evaporated milk. U add the word kau it means u want them thick. Tat's tat.
Personally, I always hav a thing for the local kopis in KK or Kuching.

3 comments:

Cruel Angel said...

Black coffee is for uncle... hahaha!

CK said...

correction alan. only the daring ppl go for the "kickest".
as for me, i prefer the mild vietnamese coffee or the pure joy of kopi o in sandakan town coffee uncle.

Anonymous said...

U're in NZ!!
Pls send me a postcard!! Hehe.. Have a great n wonderful trip..
T H A N K S ! !