Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Donuts Craze

Like the Rotiboy Mexican bun obsession a few years back, the donuts craze is now in town. We've got Dunkin' Donuts, J.Co n Big Apple, the big boys in the donut business right here. We r only missing Krispy Kreme, which apparently turned down our application to start their franchise in Malaysia a few years ago. And now I would say they miss the train cos usually the first ones in the game would gain more.
Food-wise, I hav made a comparison n the list starts with my fav. To be consistent, I try to compare the plain ones first like the glazzy, original glazed, old fashion, n then extend to the rest of the flavours.

1) J.Co
Before it was born in KL, I was told abt their great donuts when I visited Jakarta. I remember thinking "it's just a doughnut" n so we went to hav our nasi padang, bakso, layer cake (Eaton's have great layer cakes, try their original n coffee flavors) etc etc n din bother abt the humble doughnut. But now tat I've savored them - I wouldn't ever say the same. Eventho they're sweet (tried the trick with the black coffee - they're still sweet) but they're so pillow-soft n before u know it, u've gobbled down 4 in a go. With their 22 varieties - this is definitely THE FAVOURITE.

2) Big Apple
I first had them in KK. I love their not-so-sweet concept. It is so to go with the local demand. In term of texture, it couldn't compete with J.Co.


3) Krispy Kreme
They hav tis Chocolate Cruller tat is somewat similar to the Windmill at D. Donuts. I had them on a winter morning n I would say yes - it's a good n filling breakfast, although I couldn't agree on the satisfaction. Prob becos of my expectation since K. Kreme is suppose to be "legendary" (m starting to use tis word quoted by Barney in HIMYM).

4) Dunkin' Donuts
Bad. As hard as rock, but they do offer the most variety. They've got 52 types with only 40 avail in msia. Tho I do think tat Munchkins is a good product. U get to save plus make a finger food out of it for convenience. Despite it being the worst, it had tapped into the msia market n had been growing steadily since 1987.


I still remember how it was during the Rotiboy era. One of their outlets was right below my workplace. And boy, think we had them almost everyday. And at busy days, we'd hav them delivered! The delivery was from another outlet. So all together, there were 3 outlets just lingering around where I use to work so u could imagine the frequency I had them.

1 comment:

chongerin said...

I never knew I could like donuts so much ever since JCo n BA.
Sack the DD's management! despite being around for so long, they never made donut as huge!